As the creative designer of this two year restoration, working closely with the architect and general contractor, we brought this beautiful 1797 Old Mill House to life. Paying particular attention to regulations for the Maryland State Historical Registry that the large back addition housing the kitchen, great room, second floor bedroom and attic bedrooms could never be seen from the road. Preservation details included sourcing original yellow pine flooring,1800 German Dutch lap siding, a black walnut winding staircase and original period fixtures.
• 2018 Awarded #1 Distillery in America
per Yelp and Travel and Leisure Magazine
• 2018 “The Most Awarded Farm Distillery in America” (based on awards earned)
• 2015 Voted “One of the Best Entrepreneurial Companies in America,” Entrepreneur magazine
• 2015 Bronze San Francisco World Spirit Competition:Package Design
• 2014 3×3 Illustration magazine: a series of 5 labels won Merit in 3×3 Illustration
• 2014 American Illustration AI 33 book: 2 label illustrations were accepted into the highly competitive book
• 2013 Beverage Tasting Institute International Packaging Award:
GOLD Graphic Design, SILVER Creativity
• 2013 Spirits International Prestige Awards (SIP):GOLD Series Package Design
• 2013 West Virginia “Stars of the Industry”
Best Overall Marketing Campaign
• Featured in Wall Street Journal, Whole Foods, Fox News, Playboy, Southern Living, The Tasting Panel and more
THE GROW BUBBLE
Created a prototype of a 7" dome seed germination kit, with packaging that doubled as a planter. The exhibit booth needed to be car transportable, eye-catching from the aisle and draw customers in to view a tiny transparent object—all achieved within the $200 budget. The largest mid-west nursery and gardening distributor signed on at the show to represent the product.
A THREE SIDED BOTTLE
Worked with the internal team to design and create a prohibition-style 375 ml spirit bottle with a 2" face to better maximize branding and shelf visibility. The design concept was based off of a vintage apothecary bottle unearthed at the distillery.
ORIGINAL COUNTER DISPLAY
Combining the talent of a freelance graphic designer and a local box manufacturer, we created a stylish, easy to use counter display that also functions as a sturdy shipping box for 32-100 ml cans—a steamer trunk look converting to a convenient period display.
COMING TO LIFE
Acting creative director in concept design, guiding an illustrator in crafting award-winning labels. Worked with the internal team to bring the company's label characters to life through handmade costumes for traveling road shows. No detail was overlooked, including each character's unique attitude.
A CRAIGSLIST FIND
Turned an abandoned 1840s log cabin Craigslist find, with two "new" additions from the 1870s, into the #1 Distillery in America in 2018. Was the general contractor and designer, working with an architect, County regulators and subs to bring the building back to life .
A PLAIN CARDBOARD BOX?
The product was getting lost on the retail floor in a plain cardboard shipping box. Designed a box, in cooperation with a box manufacturer, to create a one-of-a-kind shipping and end cap display box with full brand immersion. In order to save the company money in the creation and printing of a single box design, the inside flaps were created as tear offs denoting one of four flavors that could be in the box.
Collaborated with a freelance illustrator to create "Sour Grapes" a humorous greeting card line based on rotten relationships. Sold throughout North America and the Cracker Barrel chain of restaurants. Hallmark approached the creators to buy the line.
Original photo taken with an iPhone 5.
Oversaw the Social Media Manager, directed and created various print and digital campaigns, helping to increase social media followers to over 25,000 across the company's Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts.
After 7 years the company changed direction from crafting it's original line of SweetShine® Liquers to canning cocktails made from the award-winning liqueurs. While honoring SweetShine's succes and history, a new brand was born, MixAlchemy® canned cocktails:
1. any seemingly magical process of transforming or combining elements into something new.
2. obsessed principally with finding the spirit of life.